Note: It is possible to obtain certification for a stand alone ISO 10002 system, or integrate it into another management system (e.g. ISO 9001 or PAS 99).
ISO 10002 provides guidance on the process of complaints handling related to products within an organization, including planning, design, operation, maintenance and improvement. The complaints-handling process described is suitable for use as one of the processes of an overall quality management system.
ISO 10002 is not applicable to disputes referred for resolution outside the organization or for employment-related disputes.
It is also intended for use by organizations of all sizes and in all sectors.
Annex A provides guidance specifically for small businesses.
ISO 10002:2004 addresses the following aspects of complaints handling:
- enhancing customer satisfaction by creating a customer-focused environment that is open to feedback (including complaints), resolving any complaints received, and enhancing the organization’s ability to improve its product and customer service;
- top management involvement and commitment through adequate acquisition and deployment of resources, including personnel training;
- recognizing and addressing the needs and expectations of complainants;
- providing complainants with an open, effective and easy-to-use complaints process;
- analysing and evaluating complaints in order to improve the product and customer service quality;
- auditing of the complaints-handling process;
- reviewing the effectiveness and efficiency of the complaints-handling process.
ISO 10002 is not intended to change any rights or obligations provided by applicable statutory or regulatory requirements.
International Standards can be purchased from the British Standards Institutive Shop (BSi)